To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han






*NO SPOILERS*


For the first part of this book all I could think about was how cliché this whole story is, but then when I finished, I realized I didn’t even think about that at all when I got into the book more. It’s written in such a way that it makes you forget that there are a hundred other books with this same plot. This was such a good cliché that I didn’t mind it being cliché. Even though the beginning was slow, I found that I really enjoyed reading this book. My favorite part wasn’t the romance aspect, but the close-knit family they were. I loved how the single father with three girls still made time for family traditions and bonding time with his daughters. The romance was just a bonus, it was hard to choose who I wanted Laura-Jean to be with more: Peter or Josh. This book was so predictable, but it was fun to read and I found myself smiling and giggling like an idiot at certain parts in the story. I even teared up at the end when everything was about to end. I felt like I could relate to Laura and she was easy to understand as if she were a real person. I am an older sister myself and am always struggling with the need to be a good big sister. I feel like I sometimes I try too hard and end up getting pushed away, which is exactly how Laura felt with Kitty. I also could relate to Margot, Being the oldest you have this pressure to be the perfect sibling they can look up to and admire. I don’t like the cover on this book because it shows the girl’s face, I don’t like it when I already have an image of what a character looks like before I read it. There are two more books in this trilogy, but I’m not going to read them. I think this first book was closure enough, I don’t like to know exactly what the characters are up to afterward so I can make up my own ending. I liked how this book started and ended with a letter and this book is all I want to know about Laura-Jean’s life. I felt like this first book tied up loose ends perfectly with just enough left to the imagination. Although I would like to see a book that is in Peter’s perspective following this same plot. I would like to know what was going through his head while this whole thing was going on.




*SPOILER ALERT*



Okay so I had no idea that it was Kitty that had sent the letters! I was so shocked when I read that because I honestly thought that it was a mistake with her dad giving stuff to Goodwill. I also came around to not liking Josh in the end because of the way he could so easily switch between sisters as if they were the same person.  I think it is a great idea to write a letter as a means of moving on from someone, but it would probably be best if you didn’t address them! I’m really glad that Laura got over Josh and her fear of being in a relationship, because I think her and Peter are so cute together. I think it was sweet how he wrote her little notes everyday, even if most of them were meaningless. Gen was just pure evil, but that is how her character is supposed to be. I don’t think Chris was a good character and just popped up whenever she wanted to in the story, but I assume she was there to keep the flow of the story with all of her drama. I know Laura had problems with driving, and I know it is scary, but this was taken a little out of proportion. I loved, loved, LOVED how they have a huge cookie bake around Christmas, maybe that is something I need to start doing with my family! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee or Tea with books?

Book Road Trip!

I Can’t Make This Up by Kevin Hart