Father Appreciation Post




Father’s Day is a special time that we get to celebrate our amazing and loving fathers. Whether that be our actual fathers or just father figures, all dads are equally worthy of our praise. Since this is a book blog I have decided to tie in this holiday with books and make it extra special! Here I have compiled a list of awesome literary dads to celebrate as well as our IRL dads.

 In no particular order:

  •        Danny Covey from To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han
  •        Mr. Bennet from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  •        Oliver Sullivan from The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
  •         Brimstone from Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
  •         Hans Hubermann from The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

*MILD SPOILERS* (be careful if you haven’t read the above books)


As I was going through my mental list of books I have read, I realized finding parents in books is waaayyyy harder than expected. If you know of any deserving literary dads that I have missed please let me know in the comments below! Most books prefer to have the ‘tragic backstory’ and kill off the parents way before the book even starts. There are so few simply for this reason, and even then, some of these fathers are only in the book for a short time. Each of these fathers have their own way of raising and loving their children. From teaching them necessary survival skills to laying down their life for their offspring, these dads have it all. Hans had the compassion to care for a foster kid in the tough times of World War 2, he also taught Liesel to stand by what she believes in and to always be compassionate. Brimstone took Karou under his wing and taught her the tricks of the trade. Even if she might not have been safe in a world of chimaera, he knew she was better off by his side. Oliver taught his children survival skills and made them think practically about any situation they were in. He even gave up his life for them and became the ultimate hero, because where would we be without our main character? Mr. Bennet is also to note because all he wanted was for his daughters to be happy. He didn’t care about proper societal etiquette, he just wanted what was best for his girls. He even traveled on horse for days to challenge a suitor that had done one of his girls wrong. Then gave no thought to spending money when it came to saving his daughter’s reputation. Finally, Dr. Covey. This man went through the pain of losing his wife and then raising three girls by himself. Even though it would have been easier to just give up and resort to bad habits --such as alcoholism-- he stayed strong for his daughters, and kept their mom alive by continuing family traditions. All of these men are truly outstanding, and goes above and beyond for their families. Now I can’t do a Father’s Day post without mentioning my own superhero of a dad. He has always been there for me even when he couldn’t be physically present. I know I can go to him for anything, he was actually the one that encouraged me to start this blog. I have just recently come to live with my dad and it has been an exciting journey that I am so happy I decided to go through with. He is my biggest fan and I love him with all my heart! Happy Father’s Day dad. And happy Father’s Day to all of the hardworking and loving fathers out there!

Comments

  1. Let's try this again... I really hate that my first post didn't go through back when i first read this but that was probably operator error on my part.

    Sweetheart you fill my heart with love and joy EVERYDAY and there is nothing in this world that I wouldn't do for you. As someone who grew up without a father I know what it's like to not have one. The pain, the disappointment, the anger, the longing, the resentment... these were all feelings that as an adolescent I told myself I would never want to pass along to my children... ever!! You and Savannah are my world, my reason for living! I am so glad you came to live with me. It really was an unexpected blessing. I am so proud of all your accomplishments to this point and I will ALWAYS be your biggest fan. There's nothing you could do or say that could diminish my love for you. I look forward to all our future adventures together and you make me a better person and father everyday. I LOVE YOU FOREVER AND ALWAYS!!! ❤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bookish Pet Peeves

Impulse Book Buy Requirements

Book Turn-offs